5 Lakes Walk (Nr. 11)
The 5 Lakes Walk is in a class of its own among hikes in the Zermatt mountains. The views of the mountain lakes are superb (with the Matterhorn reflected in three of them), and the trail is full of variety.
- Type Theme trail
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 2,30 h
- Distance 9,8 km
- Ascent 165 m
- Descent 454 m
- Lowest point 2130 m
- Highest point 2584 m
Blauherd - Stellisee - Grindjisee - Grünsee - Moosjisee - Leisee - Sunnegga
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 50)
This hike is marked on the signposts as “5-Seenweg”.
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Optionally swimming things (swimming facilities in the Leisee and Grünsee)
- Optionally picnic
Hold a family consultation: plan a stop at a mountain restaurant, or would the majority rather have a picnic?
In addition, three of the lakes offer an amazing mirror view of the Matterhorn in good weather.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.