Rotenboden toboggan run
The toboggan run on the Gornergrat is one of the finest in the Alps. Zermatt’s mountain panorama with the Matterhorn offers the ultimate setting for sledging. The thrilling run lasts about 10 minutes.
From Riffelberg, cog trains of the Gornergrat Bahn depart about every 10 minutes for the ride back up to Rotenboden.
- Toboggan (rental from Rotenboden summit station)
- Warm winter clothing with gloves and hat
- Warm, waterproof footwear
- Helmet, where appropriate
The mountain landscape around Zermatt, with 38 summits above 4,000 metres, offers breathtaking panoramic views in winter.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Please be considerate to others on the toboggan run.
- Adapt riding and speed to your ability and the conditions.
- Small children must always be accompanied by an adult.
- Do not leave the marked trails.
- It is forbidden to toboggan on the ski pistes.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Zermatt is also the start and finish point for the world-famous Glacier Express panoramic train journey (Zermatt to St. Moritz or Davos).