Zermatt Forest Trail (Nr. 12)
The path traces a leisurely zig-zag through the mixed larch forest. The trees provide shade but also offer frequent views to the horizon. Around Ried, the vista opens up dramatically to reveal the resplendent Matterhorn.
- Type Hiking trail
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 1,50 h
- Distance 6,4 km
- Ascent 3 m
- Descent 619 m
- Lowest point 1602 m
- Highest point 2216 m
Tufteren - Patrullarve - Ried - Zermatt (station)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 25)
Place of departure: Sunnegga - Tufteren (30 min.)
This hike is marked on the signposts as “Waldweg”.
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.