Path to FreedomTheme trail
It’s not every day that walkers have the chance to tackle the highest hiking trail in Zermatt (3,415 m). The view of 38 mountains above 4,000 metres is dramatic and inspiring. Along the way, sculptures invite hikers to engage in philosophical contemplation of the mountains all around.
(Hiking time for the walk back: approx. 1h 05)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.