First steps on the glacier
The “First steps on the glacier” package takes you from Zermatt across alpine meadows to high alpine terrain. Over the course of two days, you will take your first steps in mountaineering until you reach the highlight of the tour – Breithorn, situated 4,164 metres above sea level.
Discover the fascination of the mountains and gain your first high-alpine experience in Zermatt. Enjoy two unforgettable days packed with adventure challenge, while you immerse yourself in the breathtaking beauty of the alpine and high alpine terrain. The highlight of this intense experience is undoubtedly the ascent of the Breithorn, the first 4,000 metre peak of your mountaineering career. Climbing to the summit promises a special thrill. Every step brings you closer to your goal, with growing anticipation of the unrivalled view to come.
There’s also an exciting programme before you reach this stage. This includes one night in the cosy Gandegg Hut, with an aperitif platter to welcome you on arrival – the perfect end to an eventful day! The schedule also includes an exciting day on the glacier as you gain your first experience in a rope team. After scaling the summit of the Breithorn on the second day , a relaxed return journey by gondola takes you back to Zermatt.
This package offers the opportunity to push boundaries and create unforgettable memories, as well as:
- Gain your first high alpine experience
- Training in alpine and high alpine terrain
- Ascent of the first 4,000 metre peak, the Breithorn 4,164 m a.s.l.
- Cosy hut accommodation with aperitif platte
- Socialising with other mountain enthusiasts
- Day 1: Meeting point with a certified Zermatters mountain guide in Zermatt and joint gondola ride to Trockener Steg, ascent to Theodul Glacier, glacier training
- Overnight stay in the Gandegg Hut at 3,030 m a.s.l.
- Day 2: Gondola ride from Trockener Steg to Klein Matterhorn, ascent to the Breithorn at 4,164 m a.s.l.; return by gondola to Zermatt
Note: The mountain railway tickets are not included in the package.
To avoid any possible cancellation fees, we strongly recommend that you take out private travel insurance. To find the right cover, please contact your insurance provider. Cancellation/rebooking of the overnight stay in the hut is only possible in accordance with our GTCs or the provider’s GTCs, as applicable. Even if a cancellation/rebooking is possible, it cannot be guaranteed that this will not lead to (additional) costs; special cases are excepted (please note that bad weather conditions are not considered a special case).
Terms and Conditions:
- Cancelling/amending accommodation is only available on request in exceptional cases.
- Any upgrades etc. can be booked directly with the accommodation provider.
- Cancellation terms for accommodation providers and the Gandegg Hut as well as general terms and conditions for service providers apply.
More information about The Matterhorn Trek: