Riffelalp Trail (Nr. 20)
This pleasant walk leads through the forests of Zermatt with their larches and Swiss stones pines: an adventure for all the senses.
- Type Hiking trail
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 1,30 h
- Distance 4,2 km
- Ascent 26 m
- Descent 562 m
- Lowest point 1664 m
- Highest point 2226 m
Riffelalp - Ritti - Moos - Winkelmatten (chapel)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 10)
This hike is marked on the signposts as “Riffelalpweg”.
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
You find the highest tramway in Europe at Riffelalp. The railway leads through Alpine pine and larch tree forests. Just once consciously inhale the scent of forests.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.