Pensioners' Trail / Lower High-Altitude Trail (Nr. 4a)
This path offers glimpses of three parallel worlds: the village, mountain forest and the Gornergrat Bahn cog railway. The trail climbs gently to a level where the views alternate between lush woodland and the rooftops of Zermatt.
- Type Hiking trail
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 1,00 h
- Distance 2,2 km
- Ascent 55 m
- Descent 78 m
- Lowest point 1650 m
- Highest point 1727 m
Winkelmatten (chapel) – along Pensioner's Trail / unterer Höhenweg - Schönegg
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h)
This hike is marked on the signposts as “AHV-Weg / unterer Höhenweg”.
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Take time for a stop and rest at one of the benches along the path while enjoying the view of the Matterhorn and the village.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
- Beware: railway crossing