A tour for active skiers, ski tour enthusiasts and fans of adventure. La Traversata heads over a via ferrata on the border between Switzerland and Italy and is ideal for freeriders, too.
- Type Skitouring
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 4,00 h
- Distance 7,7 km
- Ascent 233 m
- Descent 1546 m
- Lowest point 2014 m
- Highest point 3500 m
Mountain station Furggsattel – entrance to the winter via ferrata – mountain station Furggen – Breuil-Cervinia (IT).
We recommend to book a mountain guide who knows well the place.
- Ski touring equipment: touring ski-boots, touring skis with touring bindings, ski poles, skins, crampons
- Climbing harness
- Via ferrata kit
- Backpack, shovel, probe
- Avalanche transeiver
- Warm weatherproof clothing
- Warm gloves and warm hat
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Warm drinks
- Snack (high energy foods such as chocolate, dried fruit etc.)
Important! Requirement: very good skiing skills and abilities, ski touring experience, surefooted with no fear of heights
This tour is also accessible in summer but it takes a bit longer to get to the start.
The historically important Furggen mountain station was a pioneering effort of the tourism visionaries from Breuil-Cervinia in Italy. It was used as the mountain station for a cable car lift well into the 1990s.
- Always go with a mountain guide on a tour
- Stay up-to-date with the weather and avalanche status: Snow Report
More information is available in the Swiss avalanche bulletins (www.slf.ch)
- Always maintain visual contact with accompanying persons
- Use key sections and extremely steep slopes individually
- Never go into a wild game protection zone (these are marked and one will be fined)
- Always switch the avalanche transceiver (LVS device) unit to transmission
- Always carry a shovel and a probe
- Pay close attention to daily atmospheric warming and continually re-evaluate the situation
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk.
*The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.