Climate Audio Trail
Zermatt’s Climate Audio Trail leads high into the world of the glaciers and mountains. Audio guides reveal fascinating insights into the climate.
- Type Theme trail
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 4,00 h
- Distance 8 km
- Ascent 464 m
- Descent 404 m
- Lowest point 2638 m
- Highest point 2914 m
Rotenboden - Monte Rosa Hut (route across glacier marked with flags)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 3.5 h)
This hike is marked on the signposts as “Klimahörpfad”.
Note: The old trail will continue to be maintained, so hikers can enjoy a circular route.
We recommend for the Klimahörpfad (climate audio trail):
- Audio guide (available with deposit from Zermatt Tourism, Gornergrat Bahn station or the Zermatters). Also available as podcast.
- Good mountain boots
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Note! The crossings to the glacier and the glacier passages are constantly changing and often very tricky. Good climbing boots and crampons are essential. Sticks or ice axes can be helpful and it's a good idea to take a rope. Good stamina is also important.
The route leads across the glacier. Recommended: book a mountain guide.
Instead of returning from the Monte Rosa hut on the same day, this modern hut has 120 beds for overnight stays.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Important! Difficulty level T4 – the route is difficult. Glacier traverse. Unsuitable for inexperienced mountain hikers. We recommend the services of a mountain guide. Return hiking time 6-7 hours.