The Breithorn (4,164 m), with its many summits, is a strong, glaciered mountain crest. The normal climb is considered as one of the easiest routes for climbing a four-thousand metre mountain.
- Type Alpine tour
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 3,30 h
- Distance 5,4 km
- Ascent 415 m
- Descent 412 m
- Lowest point 3788 m
- Highest point 4164 m
Station Matterhorn glacier paradise (Klein Matterhorn) - traversing of the glacier- ascent to the peak Breithorn - descent and again traversing of the glacier - station Matterhorn glacier paradise (Klein Matterhorn)
We recommend for this tour to book eventually a mountain guide who knows well the place.
- Climbing boots suitable for use with crampons
- Climbing harness
- 1 ski pole
- Warm weatherproof clothing
- Warm full-fingered gloves and hat
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Thermos flask (approx. 1 litre capacity)
- Snacks (high energy foods such as chocolate, dried fruit, dextrose etc.)
Important! Requirement: good physical condition
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk.
*The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.