Whenever you venture into unsecured terrain, you must be in a position to assess the risk of avalanches. Careful planning, the right equipment, behaving in a manner appropriate to the terrain and the experience to recognize potential danger spots are the basic requirements of off-piste safety. This course will equip you with a basic understanding of avalanche equipment, how to use the various gadgets and how to assess the terrain. The course consists of a theory part and freeriding part. You will lunch outdoors (bring your own picnic).
- Duration: approx. 5 to 6 hours
- Number of participants: 1 to 6 persons
- Minimum age: 15 years
- 08:15 hrs meeting point with your mountain guide at the Matterhorn-Express station in front of Dorsaz Sport, at level of the gondola station or by arrangement with your guide
- You will then take the gondola up to the skiing area
- You will start your off-piste day and learn the necessary freeride basic knowledge
- 1-hour lunch break
- Approx. 15:00 hrs end of lessons
- Afterwards return journey to Zermatt
Requirements: beginner freeride, very good on-piste skier
With a private mountain guide:
- CHF 610 for 1 to 3 persons (CHF 40 each additional person)
In a group:
- From CHF 170 per person
- Ski pass: from CHF 79 per day
- Rental equipment: from CHF 60 per day available in a sport shop in Zermatt
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe and airbag can be picked up at the ZERMATTERS office for a special rate of CHF 40 per person from 17:00 hrs the day before. The rented material must be returned after the course to the office at 17:00 hrs at the latest.
Important: Please contact ZERMATTERS two to three days in advance by phone or in the ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.