Would you like to make it over the magic 4,000 metres and marvel at the highest mountains in the Alps? At 4´164 m a.s.l, the Breithorn in Zermatt is one of the easiest 4'000 m in the Alps and is perfect to start your alpinist´s career. It is suitable for experienced mountain hiker and the ascent takes between three and four hours, depending on your fitness. The route takes you up and across glaciers, but no previous climbing experience is required. Insider tip: to get ready for the ascent and get used to the altitude, do some hiking in the alpine terrain above Zermatt.
The day of the ascent
You will meet a qualified mountain guide starting from 08:30 depending on the season (please confirm the exact meeting time with ZERMATTERS) at the Matterhorn Express station. You will then take the cable car up to the Klein Matterhorn top station.
The mountain guide will check that you are properly roped up and that the crampons are correctly attached to your shoes. It´s then time to set off!
The first section crosses the flat glacier. Using crampons (and snowshoes, depending on the conditions) is straightforward even for novices and easy to learn on this route. Once you reach the south face of the Breithorn, the route climbs to the summit where you will have incredible panoramic alpine views.
The descent leads you along the same route back to the Klein Matterhorn top station, where you pick up the gondola. You will arrive back in Zermatt in the early afternoon.
The package includes:
- Instructions and accompaniment by a qualified mountain guide
- Equipment pack (crampons, climbing harness, ski pole)
- Mountain boots or hiking boots that protect the ankles (no trainers)
- Backpack(approx. 30 litres)
- Warm, weather-resistant clothing
- Gloves (plus a spare pair)
- Hat or headband
- Sunglasses and sun cream
- A small amount of energy food
- Thermos or water bottle
The package is available all year round
- Rate per person in the group (3-6 people): from CHF 240.00, incl. equipment
- Please note that for group tours the minimum number of participants must be reached in order for the tour to take place. If this is not the case, you can decide at short notice whether you want to cancel or postpone the tour, or whether you want to do it with a private mountain guide.
If the reservation is cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
The total payment of the reservation is required at the time of booking.