The 1st of August is Swiss National Day. It marks the three original cantons of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden joining together in an "Everlasting League". The idea of designating 1291 as the year the Confederation was founded and proclaiming 1 August as a bank holiday goes back to a Bernese initiative, when the city wanted to celebrate its 600th anniversary in 1891.
Celebrate Switzerland's birthday with us.
Program from 10.30 pm to 01.00 pm:
- Swiss National celebrations on leisee (Sunnegga) with a devotion by pastor Stefan Roth
-Speech by slam poet Kilian Ziegler
- Musical entertainment with the Alphornfreunden and the MG-Matterhorn
Kilian Ziegler from Olten is one of the most successful slam poets in Switzerland. The word acrobat and cabaret artist delights audiences with his distinctive wordplay, intelligent humour and captivating stage presence.
In the evening:
- special menus in the restaurants of Zermatt
- 9.30 pm to 10.30 pm: Zermatt Brewery drinks stand on the Obere Matte with fantastic views of the fireworks
- 10.00 pm: festive bell ringing and firework
*Program is subject to change.
Programme in Täsch:
-from 7 pm canteen service
-08.00 pm: festive ringing of the bells
-08.15 pm: Welcome by Mario Fuchs, President of the community
-08.30 pm: Ceremonial address
The ceremony will be accompanied by the Täschalp Täsch music society. Followed by entertainment with a live band from Zermatt.
In addition, the Street Party in Zermatt will take place on 31 July 2022 in the Bahnhofstrasse. You can find more information about the Street Festival here: