White Magic Trail
This snowshoe hike can be quite a challenge, depending on snow conditions. The route leads 741 vertical metres down the mountain. But walkers’ efforts are well rewarded: the view over the village of Zermatt is magical.
- Type Snowshoeing
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 1,45 h
- Distance 4 km
- Ascent 84 m
- Descent 790 m
- Lowest point 1864 m
- Highest point 2570 m
Schwarzsee - Hermetje - Furi (to the Furi - Zmutt road)
The last part of the walk follows the road back to Furi - snowshoes no longer required.
- Good, waterproof footwear
- Hiking poles
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Chamois may be spotted already on the gondola ride to Schwarzsee.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
The snowshoe trails can be tackled without a mountain guide. Beware: they are not prepared in any way and are not controlled daily; nor are they secured from natural hazards such as avalanches or rockfalls. For safety, check the weather forecast and current avalanche bulletin.
All snowshoeing is at one’s own risk.