This snowshoe trail leads to some magically beautiful spots between Rotenboden and Riffelberg. Along the way it passes the frozen Riffelsee, hibernating under a thick blanket of snow.
- Type Snowshoeing
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 1,30 h
- Distance 2,5 km
- Ascent 26 m
- Descent 258 m
- Lowest point 2571 m
- Highest point 2813 m
Rotenboden - Riffelberg
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 30 - 2h)
- Good, waterproof footwear
- Hiking poles
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
As the name already indicates, this trail offers one of the finest panoramas with a cast including the Matterhorn, Obergabelhorn, Zinalrothorn, Weisshorn and many more. So be sure to take along your camera.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
The snowshoe trails can be tackled without a mountain guide. Beware: they are not prepared in any way and are not controlled daily; nor are they secured from natural hazards such as avalanches or rockfalls. For safety, check the weather forecast and current avalanche bulletin.
All snowshoeing is at one’s own risk.