This snowshoe trail leads close to the Gornergrat Bahn railway line from Gornergrat down to Rotenboden. Sparkling snow, sunshine and a magnificent mountain panorama with the Matterhorn promise a memorable hike.
- Type Snowshoeing
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 1,00 h
- Distance 1,7 km
- Ascent 36 m
- Descent 302 m
- Lowest point 2813 m
- Highest point 3079 m
Gornergrat - Rotenboden (on the left side of the railway line)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 30)
- Good, waterproof footwear
- Hiking poles
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
If you have not had enough of snowshoe hiking, you can continue along the Panorama Trail to Riffelberg.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
The snowshoe trails can be tackled without a mountain guide. Beware: they are not prepared in any way and are not controlled daily; nor are they secured from natural hazards such as avalanches or rockfalls. For safety, check the weather forecast and current avalanche bulletin.
All snowshoeing is at one’s own risk.