Bahnweg Zermatt - Täsch
The Bahnweg (Railway Trail) makes an ideal family walk, offering close-up views of trains of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn. The area along the path is also home to marmots and many alpine flowers, including some very rare species.
- Type Hiking trail
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 1,20 h
- Distance 6 km
- Ascent 176 m
- Descent 350 m
- Lowest point 1434 m
- Highest point 1629 m
Zermatt (station) - Täsch (station)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 55)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
The benches above the Air Zermatt helicopter base are an invitation to sit and ponder. Depending on their missions, you can also watch the Air Zermatt team at work in the helicopter base.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
- Beware: railway crossing
Note: Please take note when the path is closed from late autumn to spring: avalanche danger!