The Gorner Glacier sculpted this landscape over many millennia. Today, hikers marvel at the polished rocks and boulders, the ice of the glacier that still remains in the valley floor, and the larch trees that are inexorably reconquering the landscape.
- Type Theme trail
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 1,50 h
- Distance 6,2 km
- Ascent 123 m
- Descent 838 m
- Lowest point 1826 m
- Highest point 2579 m
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 35)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.