Tour Monte Rosa - Matterhorn
This tour around the Monte Rosa massif is one of the finest long-distance hikes in the Alps. Requirements: fitness and stamina.
- Type Long distance hiking trail
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 58,00 h
- Distance 162,5 km
- Ascent 13094 m
- Descent 13094 m
- Lowest point 1149 m
- Highest point 3290 m
1. Zermatt – Theodul Pass (5h 25)
2. Theodul Pass - St-Jacques (5h 30)
3. St-Jacques - Gressoney (4h 15)
4. Gressoney - Gabiet - Alagna (6h 20)
5. Alagna - Macugnaga (8h)
6. Macugnaga / Staffa - Saas-Fee (8h 55)
7. Saas-Fee - Grächen (6h 25)
8. Grächen – Europa hut (6h 20)
- Good, sturdy footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and water
Additional equipment for glacier crossings: crampons, climbing harness, 1 rope per group of 4, suitable clothing
The mountain landscape along the Tour Matterhorn is known for its breathtaking panoramas, attractive mountain villages and wealth of fauna and flora.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Important! This is a demanding alpine trek; stages may include glacier traverses. We therefore recommend the services of a mountain guide with local knowledge.