The Höhenweg (high-altitude trail) brings hikers to the most beautiful locations in the mountains around Zermatt. Highlights include Höhbalmen and Gornergrat, where the Alpine views seem to go on for ever.
- Type Long distance hiking trail
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 32,10 h
- Distance 83,9 km
- Ascent 5674 m
- Descent 5868 m
- Lowest point 1434 m
- Highest point 3148 m
- Zermatt - Alterhaupt (Edelweiss) (1h) > Pension Edelweiss
- Alterhaupt (Edelweiss) - Trift (1h 10) > Berggasthaus Trift
- Trift - Schönbiel hut (4h 10) > Schönbiel hut
- Schönbiel hut - Schwarzsee (3h 10) > Hotel Schwarzsee
- Schwarzsee - Gandegg hut (2h 35) > Gandegg hut
- Gandegg hut - Furi (2h 10) > Hotel Silvana
- Furi - Riffelalp (1h 30) > Riffelalp Resort
- Riffelalp - Riffelberg (1h) > Hotel Riffelberg
- Riffelberg - Rotenboden (45 min) > Kulmhotel Gornergrat
- Rotenboden station - Monte Rosa hut* (4h) > Monte Rosa hut
- Monte Rosa hut* - Rotenboden (4h)
- Rotenboden - Gornergrat (50 min) > Kulmhotel Gornergrat
- Gornergrat - Grünsee (1h 40) > Berghaus Grünsee
Alternative 1 (over Pfulwen)
- Grünsee - Fluhalp (1h 40) > Berghütte Fluhalp
- Fluhalp - Pfulwe - Täsch hut (Alpine Route, 4h 15) > Täsch hut
- Täsch hut - Europaweg hut (Täschalp) - Täsch (2h 15) > Europaweg hut
Alternative 2 (over Tufteren)
- Grünsee - Sunnegga (1h 15) > Rest. Sunnegga
- Sunnegga - Tufteren (30 min) > Rest. Tufternalp
Tufteren - Täschalp (1h 45) > Rest. Europaweghütte
Täschalp - Täschhütte (1h 30) > Täsch hut
Täschhütte - Täsch (2h 15)
* alpine trail in parts, leads over glacier
- Good, sturdy footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and water
- Reservations recommended in mountain huts
- Variants with and without use of mountain railways / cable cars
- Stage to Monte Rosa hut: mountain guide recommended (glacier hike)
- Täschalp: cheese and Ziger soft cheese for sale
The mountain landscape around Zermatt, with 38 summits above 4,000 metres, offers breathtaking panoramic views and is home to a wealth of fauna and flora.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.