Bahnweg Täsch - Zermatt
The Bahnweg (Railway Trail) makes an ideal family walk, offering close-up views of trains of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn. The area along the path is also home to marmots and many alpine flowers including some very rare species.
- Type Hiking trail
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 1,55 h
- Distance 6 km
- Ascent 348 m
- Descent 174 m
- Lowest point 1434 m
- Highest point 1629 m
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 20)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre near Täsch station.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
- Beware: railway crossing
Note: Please take note when the path is closed between late autumn and spring: avalanche risk!