How Zermatt looked 100 years ago and how its residents, the “Mattini”, worked, can be seen during a staged guided tour through the old sections of Zermatt. Your guide, Franz-Josef, will take you on a discovery tour through historic Zermatt, where you can watch farmers and farmwives in traditional dress going about their daily activities. While the farmers sharpen a scythe and repair the stone roofs, the farmwives weave wool, braid baskets and make butter in a churn. A historic tour back to the locals from the past helps you learn more about their current customs and history. At the end, you may enjoy a small culinary surprise.
Old part of the villlage
The old part of the village of Zermatt, known as the “Hinterdorf” (rear village), is a delight to explore: home to more than 30 buildings constructed in the traditional style. The barns, stores, stables and old houses built between the 16th and 18th centuries form a harmonious whole. The buildings are made of larch, the tree that dominates Zermatt’s surroundings.
- Meeting point: in front of Zermatt Tourismus at 4.30 pm.
- Length: about 60 to 90 minutes.
- Amount of contributors during tour: 4 to 5 people.
- The village tour takes place in all weather.
- The performances are always in two languages (German /English). Each dialogue is translated by the guide into German and English.
- Adultes: CHF 15.00
- Children 9-16 years: CHF 7.50
- Children 0-9 years: Free
- After the booking, the voucher will be sent to you by e-mail in the form of a pdf.
- To benefit from this service, simply print out the voucher and hand it to the guide.
- Expired or used vouchers are considered invalid.
- Refunds and exchanges are not possible.
- No extra performances.