Zermatt - Sunnegga (via Tiefenmatten)
From the centre of the village of Zermatt up into the mountain sunshine, under one’s own steam: that’s the essence of this bracing hike. A climb through the romantic, snow-blanketed forest accesses the open slopes leading to Sunnegga and glorious views.
- Type Winter hiking
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 2,45 h
- Distance 6,6 km
- Ascent 852 m
- Descent 181 m
- Lowest point 1608 m
- Highest point 2279 m
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 15)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.