Wolli and the climate detectives
This playful exploration of climate phenomena is fun for the whole family. The Zermatt children’s mascot, Wolli, lends a hand. The trip starts off with a ride up the Gornergrat, followed by plenty of surprises!
- Type Theme trail
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 2,30 h
- Distance 21,2 km
- Ascent 1601 m
- Descent 1601 m
- Lowest point 1605 m
- Highest point 3107 m
Zermatt (station) - Gornergrat - Rotenboden - Riffelberg - Zermatt (station)
Ride on the Gornergrat Bahn: Zermatt - Gornergrat, Gornergrat - Rotenboden, Riffelberg - Zermatt
Walk en route: Rotenboden - Riffelsee - Gagenhaupt - Riffelberg (approx. 1h)
We recommend for “Wolli and the climate detectives”:
- Audio guide and quiz (available with deposit from Zermatt Tourism)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
There are various Wolli souvenirs to buy in the Tourist Office at the train station so that Wolli can go with you on your adventures.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.