In Zermatt, many of the great attractions are on the doorstep – including this very attractive walk. Highlight: the view of the south-east face of the pyramid-shaped Weisshorn.
- Type Regional hiking tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 6,40 h
- Distance 13,9 km
- Ascent 1326 m
- Descent 1326 m
- Lowest point 1620 m
- Highest point 2936 m
Zermatt (station) - Schweifinen - Wisshorn - Trift - Zermatt (station)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 6h 20)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
In the area called Schweifinen, you always go past large metal structures. These are the avalanche barriers used to protect that section of the village down below.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.