White Magic Trail
This snowshoe hike can be quite a challenge, depending on snow conditions. The route leads 741 vertical metres down the mountain. But walkers’ efforts are well rewarded: the view over the village of Zermatt is magical.
- Type Snowshoeing
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 1,45 h
- Distance 4 km
- Ascent 84 m
- Descent 790 m
- Lowest point 1864 m
- Highest point 2570 m
The last part of the walk follows the road back to Furi - snowshoes no longer required.
- Good, waterproof footwear
- Hiking poles
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
The snowshoe trails can be tackled without a mountain guide. Beware: they are not prepared in any way and are not controlled daily; nor are they secured from natural hazards such as avalanches or rockfalls. For safety, check the weather forecast and current avalanche bulletin.
All snowshoeing is at one’s own risk.