The Matterhorn Trek
Hut trekking in the mountain paradise surrounding Zermatt leads over Alpine meadows and up into the high Alpine landscape. In 4 to 6-hour stages, the route over 5 days is from hut to hut through the Zermatt mountain world.
- Type Mountain tour
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 17,30 h
- Distance 44,5 km
- Ascent 3077 m
- Descent 3071 m
- Lowest point 1620 m
- Highest point 3260 m
1. Tag > Zermatt - Tavern Trift
2. Tag > Tavern Trift - Schönbiel Hut
3. Tag > Schönbiel Hut - Hörnli Hut | Base Camp Matterhorn
4. Tag > Hörnli Hut | Base Camp Matterhorn - Gandegg Hut
5. Tag > Gandegg Hut - Zermatt
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Depending on the hut a silk sleeping bag is required
- Camera / Telephoto
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot are needed
Every current hut warden – all of who are mountain guides – always has an exciting tale to tell about his everyday life.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.