Keen runners use the Swiss Topwalk as a training course. Regular hikers, too, enjoy the trail, which begins gently in the forest before leading along the scenic Aussichtsweg path up to the Gornergrat.
- Type Regional hiking trail
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 3,00 h
- Distance 6,3 km
- Ascent 928 m
- Descent 63 m
- Lowest point 2212 m
- Highest point 3080 m
Riffelalp - Riffelberg - Riffelsee - Gornergrat
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Take a break at the lake Riffelsee to gaze in wonder at the mirror image of the Matterhorn.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Caution! In spring the path may not be passable because of snow.