Here, the spirit finds space, freedom and relaxation. The view of the distant horizons, with the panorama of peaks including the Matterhorn, is sure to linger long in the memory.
- Type Regional hiking tour
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 1,05 h
- Distance 3,2 km
- Ascent 18 m
- Descent 519 m
- Lowest point 2579 m
- Highest point 3080 m
Gornergrat - Rotenboden - Riffelberg
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 35)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
With a bit of luck, you can see marmots whistling while they fill themselves full for the coming winter.
A little above Riffelberg is also the venue where the famous Eagle Cup Golf Tournament takes place.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Caution! In spring the path may not be passable because of snow.