The Rothorn hut attracts a colourful variety of mountaineers seeking high-altitude challenges. Regular mountain hikers, too, enjoy the climb up to the Eseltschuggen.
- Type Mountain tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 4,40 h
- Distance 8,1 km
- Ascent 1696 m
- Descent 116 m
- Lowest point 1608 m
- Highest point 3189 m
Zermatt (station) - Alterhaupt (Edelweiss) - Trift - Rothorn hut
(Hiking time for the walk back: approx. 3h)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot and mountain experience are needed
A hike to the Rothorn Hut needs to be planned way ahead of time, because the hut is only open each summer for a short time from about mid-July to mid-September.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.