Riffelalp - WinkelmattenWinter hiking
This winter hiking trail leads through a wonderfully romantic snow-covered forest, along the lowest slopes of the Gornergrat and down into the village of Zermatt.
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 30)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
Note: This winter hiking trail can be slippery. Consider wearing ice grips or microspikes on footwear (available from sports shops).