Platthorn / Mettelhorn
Both mountains, the Mettelhorn and the Platthorn, reveal totally unexpected views to the west: the summit of the Wellenkuppe with its wave of snow, and the Obergabelhorn with its dramatic rocky ridges.
- Type Mountain tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 5,20 h
- Distance 8,5 km
- Ascent 1838 m
- Descent 156 m
- Lowest point 1608 m
- Highest point 3320 m
(Hiking time for the walk back: approx. 3h 10)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Depending on the conditions crampons
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot and mountain experience are needed
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Note: Pay careful attention to weather and tour length. Take special care on wet paths and wet terrain.