The Matterhorn, the ultimate mountain… This trail explores its many facets: its physical origins, its stories and legends, its very essence.
- Type Theme trail
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 2,55 h
- Distance 9,8 km
- Ascent 112 m
- Descent 1077 m
- Lowest point 1608 m
- Highest point 2579 m
Schwarzsee - Stafelalp - Zmutt - Zermatt (station)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 3h 45)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Stafel cheese dairy: visitors can buy cheese and Ziger soft cheese on the spot in summer. The alpine meadow, with its simple benches and tables, is a good place to stop for refreshments.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.