Matterhorn Glacier Trail
This route offers a fascinating glimpse of a world between rock and ice. Walkers approach the glacier on a safe path, close enough to see the meltwater running out: a memorable moment on a special hiking adventure.
- Type Theme trail
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 2,00 h
- Distance 6,5 km
- Ascent 188 m
- Descent 534 m
- Lowest point 2559 m
- Highest point 2923 m
Trockener Steg - Hirli - Schwarzsee
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 15)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Do not miss: The mirror image of the Matterhorn in the lake of the Theodul glacier.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.