The hike leads up a lesser-known mountain, the Gross Kastel (2,830 m). Beautiful view of the Bis Glacier and its crevasses.
- Type Regional hiking tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 3,40 h
- Distance 6,1 km
- Ascent 1489 m
- Descent 221 m
- Lowest point 1405 m
- Highest point 2827 m
Randa - Gross Kastel
(Hiking time for the walk back: approx. 3h)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Along the hiking trail on the right is certainly the impressive rockslide from 1991.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre at Randa station.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
- Beware: railway crossing