Glacier trek to the Monte Rosa hut
The glacier trek to the Monte Rosa hut is a very special experience, but not suitable for all. Zermatt Tourism and the Alpin Center Zermatt recommend that this tour be undertaken only in the company of a mountain guide with local knowledge.
- Type Mountain tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 4,00 h
- Distance 7,4 km
- Ascent 527 m
- Descent 464 m
- Lowest point 2548 m
- Highest point 2887 m
Rotenboden - Monte Rosa hut (route across glacier marked with flags)
(Hiking time for the walk back: approx. 4h)
We recommend for the Klimahörpfad (climate audio trail):
- Audio guide (available with deposit from Zermatt Tourism, Gornergrat Bahn station or Alpin Center). Also available as podcast.
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot and mountain experience are all needed
The route leads across the Gorner glacier. This has changed a great deal in recent years. Recommended: book a mountain guide.
Instead of returning from the Monte Rosa hut on the same day, this modern hut has 120 beds for overnight stays.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Important! Difficulty level T4 – the route is difficult. Glacier traverse. Unsuitable for inexperienced mountain hikers. We recommend the services of a mountain guide. Return hiking time 7-8 hours.