The Dom, at 4,545 m, is the highest mountain located completely within Switzerland. This majestic mountain is part of the Mischabel group. The starting point of this tour is the Dom Hut at 2,940 m.
- Type Alpine tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 9,30 h
- Distance 11 km
- Ascent 1568 m
- Descent 1570 m
- Lowest point 2930 m
- Highest point 4545 m
(Hiking time for the descente approx. 3 to 4h)
We recommend for this tour to book eventually a mountain guide who knows well the place.
- Climbing boots with a profiled rubber sole suitable for use with crampons
- Climbing harness
- Weatherproof clothing
- Ice axe
- Full-fingered gloves (poss. spare pair of gloves)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Thermos flask (warm tea is available at the hut) or drinking bottle
- Snack (high energy foods such as chocolate, dried fruit etc.)
- Extra layers of clothes
Important! Requirement: very good physical condition, proper altitude acclimatisation, hiking and climbing with crampons
Further information and mountain guide agency: www.alpincenter-zermatt.ch
Crampons, climbing harnesses and helmets can be rented in different sport shops in the village Zermatt.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre at Randa station.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.