This snowshoe trail leads close to the Gornergrat Bahn railway line from Gornergrat down to Rotenboden. Sparkling snow, sunshine and a magnificent mountain panorama with the Matterhorn promise a memorable hike.
- Type Snowshoeing
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 1,00 h
- Distance 1,7 km
- Ascent 36 m
- Descent 302 m
- Lowest point 2813 m
- Highest point 3079 m
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 30)
- Good, waterproof footwear
- Hiking poles
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
The snowshoe trails can be tackled without a mountain guide. Beware: they are not prepared in any way and are not controlled daily; nor are they secured from natural hazards such as avalanches or rockfalls. For safety, check the weather forecast and current avalanche bulletin.
All snowshoeing is at one’s own risk.