Bike tour Matterhorn Valley Trail (Nr. 20)
Accompanied by changing but still fascinating views along with the wild waters of the Vispa or the snow-capped mountain peaks – this is the new bike trail from Zermatt to Visp. It is suitable for all bike riders who are enthusiastic about nature and really like a somewhat technically difficult but still a bit longer tour.
- Type Mountainbiking
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 3,30 h
- Distance 37,4 km
- Ascent 119 m
- Descent 1076 m
- Lowest point 647 m
- Highest point 1620 m
Zermatt – Täsch – Randa – Herbriggen - Mattsand – St. Niklaus – Kalpetran –Stalden – Neubrück – Visp train station
The Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn is a constant companion along the route and can be used to shorten the tour at any of the different stations.
The tour can also be done in the opposite direction from Visp to Zermatt which is more demanding in terms of physical condition and somewhat shorter. (Duration: about 4½ hours)
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and (trail) bell
- Repair kit in case of any defects
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink
Schalisee is located amidst larch trees and grassy meadows along the flat valley floor at Täsch. With grills including wood and the possibility to swim and picnic, this is an ideal place for a rest before taking on the last section of the route to Zermatt.
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.
The riding skills required are moderate over about 90% of the route. It is recommended that less skilled riders consider pushing their bikes along the more difficult sections.