Bike-Tour Rothorn - Zermatt
What a run! The downhill from Rothorn to Zermatt entails a vertical drop of 1,678 m. Top tip: stay relaxed and enjoy the ride!
- Type Mountainbiking
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 2,00 h
- Distance 12,4 km
- Ascent 18 m
- Descent 1505 m
- Lowest point 1609 m
- Highest point 3092 m
Rothorn - Blauherd - Sunnegga - Tufteren - Ried - Zermatt (Brücke zum Steg)
(The trail can also be ridden in the other direction, from Zermatt to Rothorn – some sections steep and difficult.)
Variant 1: Below the Rothorn, head towards Fluhalp and Lake Grindjisee, and from there to Blauherd back on the main trail.
Variant 2: Below the Rothorn, head towards Fluhalp and Lake Grindjisee, and from there via Moosjisee to Sunnegga and Zermatt.
Variant 3: Below the Rothorn, head towards Fluhalp and Lake Grindjisee, then towards Lake Grünsee and Riffelalp. At Riffelalp take the Gornergrat Bahn cog train to Zermatt.
Simple variant: Take the funicular to Sunnegga and from there ride via Tufteren and the Riedweg trail to Zermatt. Technically easy.
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and bell
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink
The mountain landscape around Zermatt, with 38 summits above 4,000 metres, offers breathtaking panoramic views and is home to a wealth of fauna and flora.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.