The views are truly heavenly: Matterhorn, Breithorn, Klein Matterhorn, Weisshorn... A scene that seems to belong in a dream.
- Type Regional hiking tour
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 0,40 h
- Distance 1,9 km
- Ascent 29 m
- Descent 297 m
- Lowest point 2808 m
- Highest point 3081 m
Gornergrat - Rotenboden (extension possible via Riffelseeweg trail)
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
With a bit of luck, you can see an ibex, and sometimes you can also meet them at the salt posts especially set up on Gornergrat.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Caution! In spring the path may not be passable because of snow.