This steep trail rewards hikers with magnificent views on both sides: of the Alpine panorama with dramatic 4,000-metre peaks, and way down to Zermatt and into a small, secluded side valley.
- Type Regional hiking tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 1,40 h
- Distance 4,1 km
- Ascent 7 m
- Descent 884 m
- Lowest point 2212 m
- Highest point 3089 m
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 2h 40)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Depending on season, the sunset on the Matterhorn is especially beautiful seen from here.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.