It is going to be emotional before the Matterhorn when the mountain is the witness of the events during the summer of 2017. In July and August 2017, the Open-Air Theatre will present Romeo and Juliet at Gornergrat.
The package includes:
- Overnight(s) stay (hotel or holiday apartment)
- Tickets for Romeo and Juliet at Gornergrat
- Travel with the Gornergrat Bahn
The Bern author Livia Anne Richard has adapted the universal love story to a Zermatt mountain farmer story. Here is her introduction:
Two Zermatt farm families each with a grudge, Their despairing, enamoured children, A headless puppet as a bad omen, The parish priest, who sees what’s coming, And tells the lovers a tale: The story of Romeo and Juliet. A homeless knife sharpener with a great dream. Will a new fate be carved Out of a bad omen?
The Matterhorn: it knows – and wryly smiles.
Romeo and Juliet at Gornergrat – a different story.
The Open-Air Theatre with a view of the Matterhorn takes place at Riffelberg (2,600 m) making it the highest theatre event in Europe. Performances are in Valais German. Written descriptions of the scenes are available in German, French and English.
Information about the theatre and the performance schedule:
The open-air theatre ticket is valid for the arrival date of the package and includes travel with the Gornergrat Bahn. There are no refunds for the tickets. If a performance is cancelled, the tickets may be exchanged for another date. Children under 17 are entitled to reduced ticket prices.
- A cancelation or rebooking of a hotel overnight stay may only be done as an exception and upon request.
- Any additional services, such as half-board, massages, etc. may be booked directly through the hotel or holiday apartment.