The Englischer Viertel lane accesses a hidden world behind the Bahnhofstrassse. The little road leads through a quiet residential district to old wooden agricultural buildings still used by local farmers.
The Lorihiischi, built around 1256, is part of a group of historical buildings in the village of Randa. The whole complex, with house, barn and stable, is being converted into the Randa museum of traditional life by a charitable foundation.
The triple rockslide at Randa took place in 1991. Boulders as big as houses are visible today scattered across the enormous cone of rock debris. In the meantime, larches, the pioneer trees of the Alps, have been steadily colonising the terrain.
Mountain refuges in the Alps have an added attraction: alongside accommodation, they offer the chance to take dramatic photographs of the mountain scenery at any time of day or night. At twilight, the colours are especially rich.
The Haus Taugwalder on the Kirchplatz (church square) was home to two local guides – Peter Taugwalder, father and son – at the time they accompanied Edward Whymper on the first ascent of the Matterhorn.
Various small hamlets overlook Zermatt. In early centuries, they were used for farming and agriculture in summer. One such is the hamlet of Herbrigg, located up on the slopes south-west of Zermatt at an altitude of 1,754 m.
In earlier centuries, a mule trail led through the hamlet of Zum See, linking Switzerland and Italy via the Theodul Pass. The closely grouped buildings are authentic and represent hundreds of years of history.