Via ferrata Schweifinen - Route AFixed rope route
The via ferrata Schweifinen (fixed-cable climb) leads high above the roofs of Zermatt. The three sections – A, B and C – require different levels of ability. Route A is suitable for families with children from the age of 10.
Access: From Zermatt station, follow the Bahnhofstrasse. Just after the Alpin Center, turn right onto the path leading to Edelweiss and Trift. Climb out of the village, up towards the Triftschlucht gorge. Before the path reaches the bridge over the Triftbach river, turn right onto the trail leading to the start of the via ferrata (approx. 30 minutes).
Descent: After completing the via ferrata, follow the path back to Zermatt (approx. 20 min).
The map shows the access and return paths as well as the via ferrata itself.
- Strong, suitable footwear
- Clothing suitable for the weather
- Climbing harness, helmet and via ferrata set
- Food and drink
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot and mountain experience are all needed
The Beresina hut with its view of the village is suitable for the first break to catch your breath.
Bring drinking water; the rock walls often radiate a great deal of heat.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan excursion carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season. Do not attempt to climb via ferrata in stormy weather.
- Use a full safety-compliant equipment set.
- Take careful account of participants’ ability.
- Via ferrata can also be climbed with a mountain guide.
- Maintain sufficient distance from other climbers.
- Use abseil site only with a mountain guide.
Note: Take note of the weather. On a via ferrata with metal elements, a storm can be deadly.