Every mountain hiker dreams of spotting edelweiss in the alpine pastures. Here that dream comes true. Along this trail, walkers even spot these beautiful flowers at eye level. The walk leads to one of the finest vantage points in the Zermatt region.
- Type Regional hiking tour
- Difficulty hard
- Duration 7,30 h
- Distance 20,1 km
- Ascent 1542 m
- Descent 1542 m
- Lowest point 1608 m
- Highest point 2751 m
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 7h 20)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
At Höhbalmen and on towards Hohliecht: keep an eye open for eagles, which occasionally circle in the skies above.
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.