Which is the most beautiful in the entire village? At the traditional Shepherd’s Festival at Furi/Schweigmatten a prize is awarded to the most beautiful black-nose sheep of the year. Superb entertainment is not only ensured by the beautifully coiffeured sheep, but also a varied festival programme and the birthday party for Zermatt’s mascot, Wolli. This traditional event is guaranteed fun for all the family.
- Friday morning: washing the black-nose sheep in the wash facility in Zen Stecken near the Forest Fun Park
- Saturday afternoon: election of the most beautiful black-nose sheep at Furi/Schweigmatten. Experts select the most beautiful individual sheep out of about 140 sheep.
- Sunday: Shepherd’s Festival at Furi/Schweigmatten
- Morning: field church service including music
- Noon: refreshments with traditional Ländler music
- Afternoon: Wolli’s birthday party, games for children, music, Blacknose sheep prize-giving, including the award for “Shepard of the Year”.
A Special Breed
The Valais black-nose sheep is a distinctively large breed perfectly adapted to the mountain world. It is evenly covered in wool, has spiral-shaped horns and specific colour features. The black nose is characteristic. The black colour continues to the eyes. The ears are also black and there are black spots on the legs. The female animals have black spots on their tails.
Criteria for the most beautiful black-nose sheep
The best Blacknose sheep of the year has to meet a range of criteria, so is judged according to the categories colour features, wool, confirmation and limbs. A perfect black-nose sheep has to walk broadly and the legs must be straight – no knock knees or bow legs. Additionally, the sheep has to have a deep chest and beautiful horns. Figuring out which is really the most beautiful is not so easy.