Which is the most beautiful in the entire village? At the traditional Shepherd’s Festival in Zen Stecken a prize is awarded to the most beautiful black-nose sheep of the year. Superb entertainment is not only ensured by the beautifully coiffeured sheep, but also a varied festival programme and the birthday party for Zermatt’s mascot, Wolli. This traditional event is guaranteed fun for all the family.
- Morning: washing the black-nose sheep in the wash facility in Zen Stecken near the Forest Fun Park or the Tradition Julen sheep barn
- 11.00 am: field church service including music
- Noon: refreshments with traditional Ländler music
- 01.30 pm: election of the most beautiful black-nose sheep
- 3.00 pm: Wolli’s birthday party, games for children, prize-giving including the award for the “Wolli of the Year”
A Special Breed
The Valais black-nose sheep is a distinctively large breed perfectly adapted to the mountain world. It is evenly covered in wool, has spiral-shaped horns and specific colour features. The black nose is characteristic. The black colour continues to the eyes. The ears are also black and there are black spots on the legs. The female animals have black spots on their tails.
Criteria for the most beautiful black-nose sheep
The best Blacknose sheep of the year has to meet a range of criteria, so is judged according to the categories colour features, wool, confirmation and limbs. A perfect black-nose sheep has to walk broadly and the legs must be straight – no knock knees or bow legs. Additionally, the sheep has to have a deep chest and beautiful horns. Figuring out which is really the most beautiful is not so easy.