HörnliwegRegional hiking tour
This trail leads to what is probably the key location in Zermatt, the Hörnli Hut ¦ Base Camp Matterhorn at the foot of the Matterhorn. Historically this has been the heart of all the action, and remains so today.
(Hiking time for the walk back: approx. 1h 30)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Camera / Telephoto
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot are needed
A must for those interested in the Matterhorn: the Matterhorn Museum - Zermatlantis, brings the story of the first ascent of the Matterhorn in 1865 vividly to life. Exhibits include pictures, the original snapped rope from the first ascent, artefacts, finds from the mortal accident…
Additional information and recommendations are available from the guest information centre on Bahnhofplatz (by the railway station).
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.