The Grand Hotel Zermatterhof has been a landmark at the heart of Zermatt since 1879. The citizens of Zermatt constructed the hotel themselves, without payment.
By the late-19th century, the remote mountain village of Zermatt had become an up-and-coming summer resort. The Monte Rosa and Mont Cervin hotels of the Seiler family were already welcoming guests. The parish priest of Zermatt, Josef Ruden, came up with the idea that the old families of Zermatt should build a hotel for their own benefit.
Hotel built with unpaid labour Between 1876 and 1879, the citizens of Zermatt made Father Ruden’s vision a reality: the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof. With 94 rooms and 150 beds, it was now the largest hotel in the village. To avoid burdening the community with excessive debt, the citizens had to commit to working on the project without payment.
Ruden Bar: open to non-residents, with coats of arms of old Zermatt families
Photo subjects: hotel façade, bar with family coats of arms
Carriages drawn by white horses
Peaceful restaurant terrace at the back of the building (ask the way at reception)